Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Back to School 2021

2021 School Year

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

I think we can all agree that the 2020-2021 was quite a roller coaster ride. I had 4 students on 4 completely different schedules. My oldest student, a high school sophomore, attended school on an A/B schedule where all work was in person on day A and asynchronous on B. He was able to work on his B days and save for his first car which was nice, but this was the most challenging of schedules!! My 7th grader attended in person 4 days a week and virtually on Wednesdays for a deep clean. He had a great year and by the end of year was able to return to a full week. My third grader attended in person all year. Her schedule was never affected by positive cases or school closures. That was such a blessing. Her class size was extremely small and she thrived in all academic areas! It was an amazing experience for her. The youngest, a kindergarten student attended 3 days virtually and 2 days in person. The last month of school she went in person all 5 days. As you can imagine, I was running a bit ragged this past school year. As a full time teacher myself, it was a lot to manage. Although it wasn’t ideal, being in quarantine during 2019 was a blessing in disguise. We are a busy family and it forced us to slow down. It also caused severe whiplash when the country started opening and we went from one extreme to the other. I think what I’m looking forward to most about this upcoming school year is all 4 students being on the same schedule. I applaud all the super hero parents out there after this year, but I think all of us need a well deserved return to normalcy. I do not fear for my students return to school. Our kids are resilient! None of my students complained about having a wear a mask in school. That being said, one of my students is in the Autism Spectrum and has Sensory Processing Disorder so I was ready for some problems with the mask, but it wasn’t an issue for him thankfully. When it came down to it, everyone stepped up to the occasion and did what needed to be done. I can’t imagine the 2021-2022 school year will be any different! We are parents and know what is best for our students. What is best for my student can look completely different from what is best for your student. I firmly believe that we do not need to have the same plan to make the right decisions. Here’s to the 2021-2022 school year however that may look for you and your student(s)!

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.