Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: NICU Parenting

100 days too soon

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

51bc87278abce6ba229aa464ad1ae5ae545b00b3.jpg

When my daughter was born, I didn’t get to hear how much she weighed or how long she was. I wasn’t given her footprints in ink to remember how tiny she was. I was told her lungs were severely underdeveloped. Her sister’s death in the womb put her at risk for infection and many other complications. I was afraid to share her with anyone. I couldn’t risk exposing her to anything she would not be able to overcome. I kept asking God to let me watch her grow up. I prayed and asked others to pray that God would give her the strength to breathe, God’s strength. I desperately prayed that God would heal her, because, no one else could. I learned all about what NICU alarms could be tuned out while others sent my heart racing. Later, I was told that she was born 1lb 14oz and 13.25 inches long, 100 days before her due date. At 4 weeks she had her first heart surgery, a PDA ligation, while I was in a different hospital for my own surgery. By 41 days she was taken off the ventilator and given a C-Pap mask. At 55 days Carly was diagnosed with Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP). By seven weeks she was taken off of the C-pap mask and given a heated cannula for oxygen. After 76 days she was strong enough to be moved to a step-down NICU. After 97 days she was able to breathe without any supports and I was able to see her sweet face. 7 days later, I took her home.

Today and every day I thank God for letting me be her mother. She is a beautiful, happy 5 year old girl and I am so lucky to be her mom.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.