This dish should be made and enjoyed all winter long! It can be made with either yams or sweet potatoes—choose whichever are the sweetest in season.
Yam or Sweet Potato Casserole
- 5 lbs. (about 5-6 large) Yams or Sweet Potatoes
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup melted butter
- ⅓ cup heavy cream or half & half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar (for the topping)
- ⅓ cup flour (for the topping)
- 1 cup chopped pecans plus 12 pecan halves (for the topping)
- ⅓ cup butter cut in small pieces (for the topping)
- In a large pot, boil yams or potatoes with skin on until tender.
- Peel the skin off and mash.
- Mix together yams, eggs, granulated sugar, melted butter, cream, vanilla, nutmeg and allspice.
- Pour mixture into a buttered 9 X 13 (or 2 quart) baking dish.
- Make topping. (see below)
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, flour and pecans.
- Cut in butter and mix until topping is crumbly.
- Sprinkle over top of potato mixture and add 12 pecan halves on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour or until topping is bubbly.
- Serves 12.