Growing up in an Italian family, we enjoyed pizza regularly including Mom's homemade pizzas. Now that we are busy adults we like to save time without sacrificing flavor. Using a quality pre-made pizza crust and sauce makes this dish fast and easy, with just as much flavor as the pizza of our childhood. The pine-nut "cheese" has only two ingredients and it's as zesty as any Parmesan. Enjoy!
Vegan Zucchini Pizza with Pine Nut
- Servings: 1 personal size pizza pie
- Yield: 2
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cooking Time: 10 min
- 2-6” premade pizza shells (recommended brand Mama Mary’s)
- ½ c. quality marinara sauce (preferred brand Classico Tomato & Basil)
- ⅛ cup pine nuts
- 1 t. salt
- 2 T. fresh basil cut in ribbons
- 1 T. red pepper flakes
- 1 medium zucchini
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (or recommended temperature per prepackaged pizza crust directions)
- Slice zucchini in ⅛ inch thick slices using either a knife or a mandoline slicer.
- Sprinkle zucchini with ½ t. salt and gently mix. Place zucchini in colander and let sit for 20 minutes. The salt will remove excess water from the zucchini.
- Place zucchini on paper towels and pat dry.
- Place ¼ c. marinara sauce on each pie crust.
- Arrange zucchini on pie crusts starting at the outer edge and working your way in, overlapping slices.
- Mix pine nuts with ½ t. salt in food processor until fully ground. The mixture will be slightly wet and pasty.
- Crumble pine nut mixture on top of pizzas.
- Bake pizzas directly on oven rack for 7-10 minutes, or as directed on crust package.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle pizzas with red pepper flakes and fresh basil. Serve immediately.