Unicorns have been all the rage - but how about the dragon? I think that is going to be the next big thing - and it is healthy too! Pitaya is another word for dragonfruit. A beautiful exotic fruit, the benefits come both from the seeds (rich in healthy fats), and the flesh of the fruit.
The "Dragon" Power Bowl
- Servings: 1 cup
- Yield: 1 cup
- Prep Time: 15 min
- ½ cup coconut water (alternatively you could use water, or a non-dairy milk)
- ¼ cup of cashews (soak in water for 10 mins, then drain)
- 1 handful (approx. ½ cup) baby spinach or another dark leafy green
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds, soaked in the coconut water for 3 - 5 mins.
- 1 packet of frozen Pitaya fruit (I used Pitaya Plus)
- ⅓ of a frozen banana
- small pinch of high quality salt (like Himalayan)*
- ice - as desired to thicken
- Optional toppings- sliced bananas, blueberries, shredded coconut, gluten free granola, hemp hearts
- Soak cashews in water for 10 mins (up to 6 hours), drain water.
- Put everything into Vitamix or blender (except ice). Blend to combine well, using tamper to stir.
- Add ice as desired to thicken, blend well, stirring.
- Spoon mixture into a bowl, add desired toppings and serve immediately.
* the salt brings out the flavors and sweetness, and adds minerals - but use just a pinch - so it does not get "salty"