My husband doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, but he never turns down a slice (or two!) of this lip-puckering Meyer lemon tart in a rich, buttery crust. We have a Meyer lemon tree in our backyard, which comes in handy whenever I want to make this crowd-pleasing dessert.
Sunny Meyer Lemon Tart
- Servings: 1 slice
- Yield: 8-10 servings
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cooking Time: 35 min
- Crust Dough
- 1-½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup confectioners' sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 10 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1-½ tbsp whipping cream
- Meyer Lemon Filling
- 3 large eggs
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1-¼ cups granulated sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- Zest from 2 large Meyer lemons
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream for garnish
- Prepare crust: Place the flour, confectioners’ sugar, and salt in a food processor and process briefly to combine.
- Scatter the butter pieces over the flour mixture; pulse 10-12 times until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk egg and cream together in a small bowl. With the machine running, slowly pour the egg mixture down the feed tube and process until the dough begins to come together.
- Turn the dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap and press into a flat disk. Wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour, until firm.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to a 13-inch round. Carefully transfer the dough to a 10 inch tart pan, easing it into the corners and removing excess dough from the edges with a knife. Freeze the tart pan 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Set the chilled tart pan on a baking sheet and press a square of buttered foil or parchment paper into the frozen tart shell and over the edges, and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully remove the foil and weights. Continue to bake until the bottom and sides are golden brown, 7 to 9 minutes longer.
- Prepare filling (keep oven at 375): In a medium saucepan, whisk eggs, egg yolks, sugar and salt until blended. Add lemon juice and zest, whisking until smooth.
- Place saucepan over medium-low heat. Add cubed butter and cook, whisking constantly, until the butter has melted and the mixture thickens (about 170 degrees on a thermometer), 6 to 8 minutes. Whisk in cream and transfer filling to warm tart shell.
- Bake until the filling is set on the outer edges and the center jiggles slightly when shaken, 12-15 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack and then chill until cold, 4 hours or overnight. Garnish with lightly sweetened whipped cream and serve.