The filling is a combination of lean ground turkey and sausage (or you may leave out the sausage for less calories) with onion, cheese, and Italian spices.
Stuffed Red Peppers
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 30 min
- 1 - ½ pounds lean ground turkey
- ¼ pound lean ground sausage (mild or spicy)
- 6 medium red bell peppers (or 3 large)
- 1 - ½ cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 garlic clove, pressed)
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- ½ - ¾ cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Coat stuffed veggie pan with non-stick cooking spray. Wash red peppers, and cut off top ¼ of pepper. Save or freeze pieces for another use. If you don't have a stuffed veggie pan, line a baking sheet with foil (coat with non-stick cooking spray) and instead remove the stems from the peppers and cut in half length-wise. Either way, remove the seeds and place peppers on the pan.
- Cook ground turkey, sausage, and onion in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. When the meat is almost cooked through, add the sauce and seasonings to the pan. Stir and continue to cook until the turkey is completely cooked (when it is no longer pink). Add the parmesan cheese.
- Add about ½ cup of meat mixture to each pepper. Sprinkle tops evenly with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted, and lightly golden brown.