Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Enter TODAY's Ultimate Cook-Off Contest

Stuffed French Toast

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Decadent fruit and creamed cheese stuffed french toast

Stuffed French Toast

• Yield: 4 servings
  • Prep Time: 20 min
  • Cooking Time: 20 min

Ingredients

• 3 ripe bananas, sliced in ¼" rounds
  • 1 lb sliced strawberries
  • 8 slices brioche
  • ½ cup soft cream cheese
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
  • 4 eggs
  • ¼ cup milk
  • Maple syrup to taste (optional)

Preparation

1. Melt tablespoon of butter in a pan on medium heat.
  2. Add bananas and saute in butter until just starting to soften.
  3. While bananas are sauteeing, spread cream cheese on one side of all eight slices of brioche.
  4. Top four slices with softened banana slices, and sliced strawberries and top with other four slices of brioche with creamed cheese to make sandwiches.
  5. Add remaining strawberries to pan with remaining bananas and sautee on medium heat until strawberries start to soften and create sauce.
  6. Add 1 tablespoon vanilla, ½ tsp cinnamon and ½ tsp fresh ground nutmeg and stir very gently, taking care not to smash bananas.
  7. Whisk eggs and milk in a shallow flat glass dish.
  8. Add remaining vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg and whisk until blended.
  9. Place four sandwiches in egg batter for a few minutes to allow brioche to soak up egg batter, then flip to soak the other side.
  10. Melt tablespoon of butter in a pan on medium/high heat, and add sandwiches.
  11. Sautee until golden brown, flip and sautee on other side until golden brown.
  12. Plate sandwiches, drizzle with warm maple syrup (optional) and top with remaining sautéed strawberries and bananas.

Recipe Tags

This can also be prepared as a make-ahead (great when you have overnight guests).

Do steps 1-9, cover the baking dishes with the sandwiches and refrigerate overnight. Refrigerate fruit topping as well. In the morning, either microwave topping to warm, or warm in a pan on the stove. Complete last three steps with sandwiches.

Best made with Trader Joe's French Brioche, pre-sliced and makes perfect squares.

I just heard of the deadline for submission this morning, did not have time to make and photograph. Since I couldn't submit without a photo, I grabbed an image of a similar recipe online. I will make this weekend and photograph.

Ingredient measurements are guesstimates, I never really measure.

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!