Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Savoring Spring

Spring salad with asparagus, strawberries and goats cheese toasts

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Don't get me wrong, I love so many winter dishes, but it's nice to change things up come spring and add a bit more color to what we eat and lighten things up. This spring salad just shouts the colors of the season and has some of my favorite spring ingredients - asparagus and strawberries. The goats cheese toasts definitely make it even better still!

Spring salad with asparagus, strawberries and goats cheese toasts

Ingredients

• 10 asparagus spears
  • 2tbsp olive oil
  • 2tbsp lemon juice
  • salt and pepper
  • approx 10 basil leaves
  • approx ½ a small-med fennel bulb
  • around 4 handfuls arugula
  • around 6 strawberries
  • 6 slices of baguette
  • 1 small round of goats cheese (one with rind generally best)

Preparation

1. Steam the asparagus chunks for around 3-5minutes until tender to the knifepoint then run under cold water/dunk in cold water to stop them cooking further.
  2. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and a couple grinds of salt and pepper. Finely chop the basil leaves and mix with the oil-lemon dressing.
  3. Finely slice the fennel, cutting larger slices in half or smaller, then mix with the arugula/rocket. Mix through the dressing and arrange on either two plates or one larger serving plate.
  4. Arrange the asparagus over the arugula-fennel mixture. Slice the strawberries and arrange on top.
  5. Toast the slices of baguette lightly and put a piece of the goats cheese on each slice so that the bread is largely covered (for me, this was a half-round slice with the ends tucked in). Toast the slices under the broiller/grill for a couple minutes so that the cheese melts and starts to brown slightly. Arrange over the salad and serve.

Recipe Tags

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!