Don't get me wrong, I love so many winter dishes, but it's nice to change things up come spring and add a bit more color to what we eat and lighten things up. This spring salad just shouts the colors of the season and has some of my favorite spring ingredients - asparagus and strawberries. The goats cheese toasts definitely make it even better still!
Spring salad with asparagus, strawberries and goats cheese toasts
- 10 asparagus spears
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- approx 10 basil leaves
- approx ½ a small-med fennel bulb
- around 4 handfuls arugula
- around 6 strawberries
- 6 slices of baguette
- 1 small round of goats cheese (one with rind generally best)
- Steam the asparagus chunks for around 3-5minutes until tender to the knifepoint then run under cold water/dunk in cold water to stop them cooking further.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and a couple grinds of salt and pepper. Finely chop the basil leaves and mix with the oil-lemon dressing.
- Finely slice the fennel, cutting larger slices in half or smaller, then mix with the arugula/rocket. Mix through the dressing and arrange on either two plates or one larger serving plate.
- Arrange the asparagus over the arugula-fennel mixture. Slice the strawberries and arrange on top.
- Toast the slices of baguette lightly and put a piece of the goats cheese on each slice so that the bread is largely covered (for me, this was a half-round slice with the ends tucked in). Toast the slices under the broiller/grill for a couple minutes so that the cheese melts and starts to brown slightly. Arrange over the salad and serve.