This creamy dreamy sweet potato casserole is made from, fresh whipped sweet potatoes, sugar, sweet milk, butter, eggs, spices and topped off with a crunchy cinnamon pecan topping.
Southern Sweet Potato Casserole
- Servings: 6-8
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cooking Time: 45 min
- 6- 7 sweet potatoes (approx 3 pounds)
- ½ - cup butter, softened
- 1 - large egg, beaten
- ⅓ - cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 - teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ - teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 - teaspoon real vanilla extract
- ½ - cup granulated sugar
- 1 - cup brown sugar
- ⅓ - cup flour
- ¼ - cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 - cup chopped pecans
- Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Microwave on high for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender, turning the potatoes once.
- When the sweet potatoes are fork tender remove from the Microwave and cool completely. Remove the skin and discard.
- Add cooked sweet potatoes, butter, egg, sweetened condensed milk, sugar, vanilla and spices together.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend everything together with a mixer until smooth. Pour sweet potato mixture into a greased 8 x 4 round or 8 x 8 square inch baking dish. Set aside and prepare topping.
- Mix all the topping ingredients together. Drop the topping evenly over the top of the sweet potato mixture. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes until bubbly and the topping is crispy.
Time Saver Tip: This recipe can be prepared, assembled and frozen (unbaked) ahead of time. Just remove from the freezer, thaw and bake the day you want to serve.