A hearty dish loaded with smoky flavor that cooks cooks all day and freezes very well.
Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans, washed and soaked overnight
- 1 ½ pounds polish sausage, cut in bite size pieces
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- Dash cayenne
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup white or brown rice.
- Rinse red beans, soak overnight in a large bowl with enough water to cover plus 2".
- Heat butter and olive oil to brown sausage. Remove from pot. (Use a slow cooker that has a sauté feature)
- Add peppers, onion, celery and garlic. Sauté until just tender.
- Add spices and herbs, stir.
- Add drained and rinsed beans and browned sausage.
- Add tomato sauce and 8-10 cups water, stir.
- Rinse ham hocks and add to cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove ham hocks, pick meat from bones and return to cooker. Discard all bones and fat.
- Cook one cup rice according to package instructions.
Put about ½ cup rice in a bowl, top with a generous ladle of Red Beans. If you like a little more heat just add some Sriracha. Enjoy!
Regrettably I do not have a picture of this dish. Must have been too busy eating. I do however have one recent picture of me.
This recipe is great for busy families, most of the ingredients can prepped the night before, and it freezes very well.