I have been making slow cooker potato soup for years and my family loves it. Of course, my boys love anything with bacon, but this soup is yummy (even without the bacon). It is buttery, brothy, warming and delicious. My favorite thing about this soup of course is that I make it in the slow cooker. I love being prepared and having most of my kitchen work done before the boys come home from school. It just makes my evening so much easier.
Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- 6 potatoes, cubed
- 1-2 onions, diced
- 1 rib celery, sliced
- ½ lb. or more bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- salt to taste*
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 ¾ cups half and half
- chopped chives (optional)
- Combine all ingredients except milk and chives in crock pot. I actually add half the bacon now and garnish with the remaining fresh crisped bacon at serving time.
- Cover. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Stir in half and half during last hour.
- Garnish with chives and extra bacon if desired.
*If using homemade broth you may need more salt than you will with store bought broth.