Chocolate's not just for dessert anymore. It adds rich flavor to this hearty slow cooker chili.
Slow Cooker Chili with Dark Chocolate
- Yield: Serves 6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add ground beef, chili powder, cumin, oregano and a big pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook until beef is browned, 5-7 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer to slow cooker and stir in tomatoes, beans and stock. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Stir in chopped chocolate and serve. Top with sour cream, chopped cilantro or shredded cheese, if desired.
For more recipes, cooking tips and techniques, visit CookingClarified.com.