Carne Asada isn’t just for tacos. If you’re looking for a different, healthy option, try stuffing them into sweet potatoes. All cooked in the slow cooker of course.
Slow Cooker Carne Asada Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 4 hr
- 1 lb flank or skirt steak
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 3 tbsp oil (I used avocado oil)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- Fresh cilantro
- 4 medium size sweet potatoes
- ½ cup cheese, ¼ cup tomatoes, ¼ cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- CARNE ASADA: Add steak, onion & bell to the bottom of your slow cooker. Mix sauce ingredients together in a bowl and pour into slow cooker making sure all ingredients are covered. Cook HIGH 3-4 hours. Once done, take 2 forks and shred in the slow cooker. The meat should be so tender it will fall apart easily.
- SWEET POTATOES: Wrap each sweet potato in aluminum foil and add to the bottom of the slow cooker. Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or until soft. The potatoes will be very hot to so use tongs or an oven mitt to remove from the slow cooker. Let chill 5 minutes.
- To serve: Slice open each sweet potato and stuff with shredded carne asada and other toppings.
- Optional step: Preheat oven to 375. Top sweet potatoes with cheese. Bake 20 minutes or until melted. Top with extra toppings if using.