There’s something incredibly comforting about a creamy and cheesy Macaroni and Cheese made with 3 types of cheese, and when it’s made effortlessly in your slow cooker, it’s even better…
Slow Cooker 3 Cheese Macaroni And CheesePrep Time: 20 min Cooking Time: 3 hr 20 min
- FOR THE MORNAY SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt, to taste
- FOR THE MACARONI AND CHEESE
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, plus 1 additional cup for topping (3 cups total)
- 1 cup shredded Fontina cheese
- 1 cup shredded White Cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- TO MAKE THE MORNAY SAUCE
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Increase the heat to medium and blend in the flour. Cook slowly, stirring, until the butter and flour cook together for 2 minutes (do not allow the roux to brown).
- Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil, about 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir in the cheese. Continue to cook, stirring until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- TO MAKE THE MACARONI AND CHEESE
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the macaroni to al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In the slow cooker, combine the butter, 2 cups of the shredded Cheddar, the Fontina, the White Cheddar cheeses, the eggs, and the sour cream together.
- Slowly stir in the milk, dry mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Add the drained macaroni and stir again.
- Top with the additional cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Set the slow cooker on low setting and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
This 3 Cheese Macaroni and Cheese is made with a blend of shredded Fontina, White Cheddar and Sharp Cheddar Cheeses, a creamy, extra cheesy sauce and an additional heavy sprinkling of Sharp Cheddar over the top. It’s hard to eat just one bowl, trust me.
Be sure to visit ZagLeft for other delicious recipes!
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!