In my experience, when a dish comes out of a farmhouse kitchen, it's a given that it's great. This recipe is the perfect example of a fresh, Fall side dish that will please your whole family!
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 large summer squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup milk (or 2 tablespoons powdered milk)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or 7-8 slices of American Cheese)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice zucchini and summer squash into 1-inch rounds.
- In a medium pot, bring to boil about an inch of water.
- Add squash, cover and cook until fork tender, about 7-8 minutes. (Check to make sure water has not evaporated. Add more water if necessary.)
- When done, pour squash into a colander and drain well.
- Return squash to the pot.
- Add butter and milk, stirring and mashing to break up the squash into small pieces.
- Add strips of American cheese or cup of shredded cheese (the secret ingredient!) and mix until completely incorporated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
Note: Try the same recipe using turnips instead of squash. Delicious, too!
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!