They have been with us for centuries--the roll-with-a-hole called a bagel. But when The Bagel Store in Brooklyn turned them in to a psychedelic rainbow of twisted dough, our love affair with the bagel only got deeper and much more colorful. I haven't had this much fun in the kitchen in a long time. Hope you do, too!
- 2 packets active dry yeast (I like Red Star)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 ¼ cups warm water
- 3 ½ cups flour (I use bread flour or high gluten flour)
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- Food coloring (Between 4-6 colors)
- Pour the yeast and sugar into a large bowl.
- Add warm water but do not stir. Let it sit for five minutes, and then stir the mixture to dissolve.
- Add flour and salt and stir with large spoon until you can gather dough to place on floured surface.
- Knead the dough for about 6-8 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- If too moist add a sprinkling of flour until dough is not sticky.
- Lightly coat a large bowl with butter or oil and place dough in bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp dish towel.
- Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down, and let it rest for another 10 minutes.
- Carefully divide the dough into 8 pieces. (Should be roughly 3.2 oz balls)
- Shape each piece into a round.
- Wearing disposable gloves, take each dough ball and color with food coloring, working the dough to distribute color.
- With a rolling pin, roll out each dough ball to form a rectangle. Make sure each dough ball is rolled out the same size.
- Layer each rectangle on top of each other.
- Cut into 1-inch strips lengthwise.
- Twist dough into a round bagel shape and seal the ends by rolling with your hands or pinching. (You can use a little bit of water on your fingers to act as glue.)
- After shaping the dough rounds place on a lightly greased cookie sheet, cover with a damp kitchen towel and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Prepare a pot of boiling water.
- Drop 2-3 bagels at a time into the water and cook for 2 minutes.
- Flip bagels over after one minute. With a slotted spoon, remove bagels and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat until all bagels are boiled.
- Sprinkle tops with desired seasonings. (I used a garlic sea salt mixture)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bake bagels for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve while still warm with cream cheese or butter.
To make Sprinkles Cream Cheese-- Mix enough powdered sugar into 8oz of cream cheese for desired sweetness, starting with 1 tablespoon. Add more for sweeter spread. Add about 1 tablespoon of rainbow sprinkles and mix.
Step 1 - Make Dough
Step 2 - Layer Dough
Step 3 - Slice and Twist Dough
Step 4 - Roll and Twist Into a Bagel
Step 5 - Boil Bagels
Step 6 - Bake and Enjoy!
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!