This is an updated take on my Hungarian family's traditional recipe. It's so quick you can make it on a weeknight without sacrificing any flavor!
Quick Chicken Paprikas with DumplingsPrep Time: 15 min Cooking Time: 30 min
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 2 Tablespoons Paprika
- 4 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, Cut into Chunks
- 1-2 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 1 Pint Sour Cream
- 1 Grated Onion
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Chooped Parsley, more for garnish
- To make dumplings, Mix grated onion, eggs, salt, flour, and chopped parsley to form a thick batter.
- Set batter aside while making chicken, but bring a large pot of water to boil in the meantime.
- In a heavy bottomed pot brown the chopped onion in a few tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the chunks of chicken and brown, add paprika and stir till fragerant.
- Add enough chicken stock, 1-2 cups, just to cover the chicken. Cover and let simmer till chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
- While chicken cooks, drop 1 tablespoon at a time of the dumpling batter into the boiling water.
- Once all dumplings are in the pot, let simmer till cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the pint of sour cream and mix with 2 laddle fulls of the hot liquid in the chicken pot. This will help the sour cream from curdling when added to the big pot.
- Add the sour cream mixture to the chicken pot and stir till sauce is creamy, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chicken and sauce over the dumplings. Top with chopped parsley if desired.