This is an updated take on my Hungarian family's traditional recipe. It's so quick you can make it on a weeknight without sacrificing any flavor!
Quick Chicken Paprikas with DumplingsPrep Time: 15 min Cooking Time: 30 min
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 2 Tablespoons Paprika
- 4 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, Cut into Chunks
- 1-2 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 1 Pint Sour Cream
- 1 Grated Onion
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Chooped Parsley, more for garnish
- To make dumplings, Mix grated onion, eggs, salt, flour, and chopped parsley to form a thick batter.
- Set batter aside while making chicken, but bring a large pot of water to boil in the meantime.
- In a heavy bottomed pot brown the chopped onion in a few tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the chunks of chicken and brown, add paprika and stir till fragerant.
- Add enough chicken stock, 1-2 cups, just to cover the chicken. Cover and let simmer till chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
- While chicken cooks, drop 1 tablespoon at a time of the dumpling batter into the boiling water.
- Once all dumplings are in the pot, let simmer till cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the pint of sour cream and mix with 2 laddle fulls of the hot liquid in the chicken pot. This will help the sour cream from curdling when added to the big pot.
- Add the sour cream mixture to the chicken pot and stir till sauce is creamy, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chicken and sauce over the dumplings. Top with chopped parsley if desired.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!