Warm and satisfying, this Chicken Vegetable Chowder is sure to be a family favorite. Perfect any time of year but especially in the cooler weather, this hearty meal comes together in just over 30 minutes, thanks to the use of rotisserie chicken.
Quick and Hearty Chicken Vegetable Chowder
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 25 min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 6 baby red potatoes, quartered (skin on)
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons chicken base (or granulated chicken bouillon)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¾ cup half and half
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed (rotisserie chicken, leftover grilled or roasted all work well)
- In the bottom of a large Dutch oven or sauce pot, heat the olive oil and the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, and potato and cook until they begin to soften but not brown, stirring very often, about 10 minutes (take care not to let them burn).
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook while stirring an additional five minutes or until soft. Add the seasoning blend, salt, crushed red pepper, black pepper, and ground thyme and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the flour over the cooked vegetables and stir well to coat. Cook 1 minute while stirring constantly. Add the chicken stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition allowing the stock to dissolve the flour.
- Add the chicken base/granulated chicken bouillon, the frozen peas (no need to defrost first) and the half and half, and stir well.
- Add in the cooked chicken and continue to heat the chowder, stirring very often until thick and gently bubbling, approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Serve warm with a slice of crusty bread or biscuits on the side. Enjoy! Serves 4.