These Pumpkin Coconut Tarts with Caramel Sauce are the perfect small portion size with just enough sweetness that is slightly spiced, rich and creamy. They make the loveliest after dinner nibble or perfect with a mid-morning cup of coffee.
Pumpkin Coconut Tarts with Caramel Sauce
- Yield: 8-10 tarts
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour or pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons very cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon ice water
- 1 15ounce can organic pumpkin puree
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup organic canned coconut milk (do not use "light" coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of brandy or vanilla extract
- For the crust, Combine the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to mix.
- Add the cold butter to the flour mixture and pulse a few more times until the butter and flour resemble coarse pea sized pieces or a coarse meal.
- As you pulse the food processer add the egg and water and pulse only until the dough is holding together in one piece.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead just a few times forming the dough into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or so, or overnight. Often I’ll make several batches of pate brisee and then keep them wrapped in the freezer, pulling them out when I know I’ll need them.
- Remove the chilled disk from the refrigerator and roll it out with a wooden rolling pin. With a biscuit cutter or mouth of a drinking glass, cut out discs large enough to press into the mini tart pans. Fill all the mini tart pans and then place in the refrigerator until you are ready to fill them with the pumpkin filling.
- For the filling, in an electric mixer or blender, combine the pumpkin puree, ½ cup sugar, coconut milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, eggs, and pinch of salt until well blended.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Place all the mini tart pans on a baking sheet and fill each mini tart pan with pumpkin coconut filling.
- Place the baking sheet of tarts in the oven and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the filling is nicely firm and crusts are golden.
- While the tarts are baking prepare the caramel sauce.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium low heat mix together the 1 cup sugar, butter, heavy cream and pinch of salt. Add a dash of vanilla if you like, or a dash of brandy.
- Whisk the ingredients until it comes to a boil and then let it simmer for about 5-8 minutes or until it thickens.
- Let it cool slightly and serve over the Pumpkin Coconut Tarts or Vanilla ice cream.
- Once the tarts are done, remove them from the oven and let them cool. Remove each tart and place onto a small dessert plate. Top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce. Toasted coconut makes a love garnish but is optional.