Authentic flavor and a simple technique for mastering those billowy pockets of goodness.
Perfect Pot Stickers
- 2 cups flour (for dough)
- 1 cup boiling water (for dough)
- 8 ounces Napa cabbage, finely chopped
- 4 ounces Shitake mushrooms, finely chopped (if using dried, soak for 20 minutes and drain)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- ¼ cup green onions, finely chopped
- 1 pound lean ground pork, beef or chicken thigh meat (pork is traditional)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Dash white pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Chicken broth if needed
- Chop cabbage into small dices.
- In a large bowl, add ground pork (beef or chicken) and remainder of filling ingredients, mixing well.
- If mixture is dry, add a little chicken broth.
- In a bowl, mix flour and 1 cup boiling water until a soft dough forms.
- On a lightly flour surface, knead dough about 5 minutes or until smooth.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Shape each half into a roll 12 inches long and cut each roll into ½-inch slices.
- Roll 1 slice of dough into a thin 3-inch circle and place 1 tablespoon pork mixture in the center of the circle.
- Fold over to create a pouch.
- Lift up the edges of the circle and pinch 5-8 pleats up to create a pouch.
- Repeat with the remaining slices of dough and filling.
- Heat a wok or nonstick skillet until very hot.
- Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, tilting the wok to coat the sides.
- If using a nonstick skillet, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- Place 12 dumplings in a single layer in pan and fry 2 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Add ½ cup water.
- Cover and on medium heat, cook 6 to 7 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
- Repeat with the remaining dumplings.
- Makes 24 dumplings.
This dipping sauce pair perfectly with pot stickers and can be made very quickly!
¼ cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon fresh ginger, minced (optional)
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!