Monterey Chicken is a dish that my mom has been making our family since i was very little. The entire family loves it, and we always look forward to when she will be making it. It is a comfort food that reminds us of good times together as a family. Oven-fried chicken breasts coated with crunchy taco-flavored tortilla chips, topped with creamy, tangy monterey jack cheese. Perfectly pairs with rice and a green vegetable. My mom has passed down this recipe for Monterey Chicken to me, and I like to make it for my own family on special occasions, or when i need something yummy to serve guests at a dinner party. Now I'm sharing this recipe with you. Every time I make it for friends, it gets rave reviews, so I hope you won’t be disappointed.
- Servings: 1 Chicken Breast
- Yield: 4-6
- Cooking Time: 40 min
- 4-6 large skinless chicken breasts
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2-3 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 2 Tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 Tablespoons oil
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups Tillamook Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- ¼ cups sliced olives
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- To Prepare Chicken:
- • Combine taco seasoning with the crushed tortilla chips, toss until combined.
- • Place the melted butter, flour and seasoned tortilla chips into separate shallow dishes.
- • In an assembly line, coat each chicken breast in flour, then in melted butter and finally, in taco seasoned tortilla chips.
- • Place coated chicken breast into a 9x 13
- • Place into a pre-heated, 375ºF oven for 40 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink inside.
- To Prepare the Cheese Sauce:
- • Grate 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese.
- • Heat oil in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- • Sauteé onions in the oil until translucent.
- • Add 2 Tablespoons flour, and stir quickly while scrapping the pan until mixture is thickened making a rue.
- • Immediately whisk in evaporated milk.
- • Once fully combined, carefully whisk in shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
- • Turn down heat to low and continue stirring. Once the cheese has fully melted, whisk in lemon juice, salt and olives.
- • Season to taste, adding either more salt, pepper or cheese (optional).
- • Remove chicken from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- • Spoon cheese sauce over each piece. Garnish with leftover olive slices.
- • Serve. Tastes great served with rice and green vegetable. Spoon cheese sauce over all.