A Meaty Cornbread Skillet made of cornbread, ground beef or sausage, creamed corn, vegetables, and cheese make up this filling skillet meal.
Moms Meaty Cornbread Skillet
- Servings: 6-8
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cooking Time: 35 min
- 2 - (7 ounce) packages Yellow Cornbread Mix (Not Corn Muffin)
- ½ lb ground beef
- ½ lb breakfast sausage
- ½ - cup onion, chopped
- 1 - clove garlic, minced
- 2 - 3 fresh jalapenos, seeded & chopped
- 1 ⅓ cups buttermilk, well shaken
- 2 - eggs
- 1 - 14 ounce can creamed corn
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar, colby jack or pepper jack cheese
- 1 - tablespoon bacon grease
- additional cornmeal for dusting
- In a large skillet brown the ground beef or breakfast sausage, onion, garlic, and diced jalapeno peppers. Drain off any excess grease from skillet. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the corn bread mix according to package instructions (substituting buttermilk for milk and adding the beaten eggs). Add the cream corn and one cup of shredded cheese. Mix to combine and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add one tablespoon of bacon grease to a large cast iron skillet (mine measures 11 inches). Place the skillet into the hot oven until the bacon grease melts and the skillet is nice and hot.
- Remove skillet and sprinkle enough corn meal to lightly cover the bottom of the skillet (this gives the cornbread a crispy bottom). You know it's hot enough when the corn meal sizzles.
- Pour half of the cornbread batter into the pan. Add the meat mixture and the remaining 1 ½ cups of shredded cheese. Pour the remaining cornbread batter over the meat.
- Place the skillet in a 350 degree oven and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until the cornbread is lightly brown on top and cooked through.
- Test with a toothpick by inserting into the cornbread if it comes out clean it's done. Let cool, turn cornbread onto a serving plate, slice, and enjoy! .
For more great recipes stop by my blog Mommy's Kitchen.