Oatmeal takes on Mexican flavors in this hearty, savory breakfast bowl.
Mexican Breakfast Bowl with Oatmeal
- Yield: 1 serving
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 10 min
- 1 portion of steel cut oatmeal prepared using McCann's Quick Soak Method
- ½ avocado, diced
- ½ lime, juiced
- splash of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt and a few turns of black pepper
- ¼ plum tomato, seeded and diced or 5 grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, minced
- 1 Tbsp scallion, chopped
- ¼ cup black beans, warmed
- ¼ cup salsa or pico de gallo
- 2 Tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, cooked sunny side up, over-easy or poached
- hot sauce to taste
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp cilantro, minced, for garnish
- Heat one portion steel cut oatmeal over low heat and season with salt.
- Prepare guacamole by combining the avocado, lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, tomato, cilantro and scallions in a small bowl. Combine into a coarse mash with a fork.
- Scoop oatmeal into a bowl and top with ¼ cup guacamole (press plastic wrap on the surface of the remaining guacamole and store in the frig for later.)
- Top the oatmeal with the additional toppings: beans, cheese, egg, hot sauce, salt, pepper and cilantro.
- Dig in!
This Mexican breakfast bowl is all about the layering of flavors. I start with a scoop of nutty, creamy steel cut oats and top it with fresh guacamole, black beans, salsa, a spoonful of shredded cheese and cilantro. And of course, a fried egg with that perfectly runny yolk. Now you might be thinking….oatmeal and guacamole? And my answer is a resounding yes. Steel cut oats have this nutty flavor and slightly chewier texture that lend itself well to savory preparations. They are also filling, high in fiber and low in cholesterol. I honestly don’t even miss the tortillas.
The great thing about a breakfast bowl is you can really make it your own. You can skip the cheese, use a different bean, make your own salsa or pico de gallo or opt for your favorite store brand. For me the guacamole is a must, but avocado slices work nicely here too. Just pile on your favorite toppings, grab a spoon and dig in.