Welcome to the 1940's Highway Café. Unlock history with this banana bread original recipe that was created by Great Grandmother. She owned the famous Café during the 1940's. Located in South Dakota. Service men and women would visit every day just to get a delicious piece of warm, banana bread. The best part is the wonderful texture. Simply unique.
Mama G's Famous Highway Cafe Banana Bread
- Servings: 1 loaf
- Yield: 6
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 50 min
- 1 stick butter room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature lightly beaten
- 4 brown very ripe mashed bananas
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup sour milk. How-to sour - Add vinegar to milk
- 2 cups Gold Medal flour.
- Fold in 1 tsp of orange zest
- Combine and incorporate all ingredients accordingly
- Prepare a loaf pan with cooking spray evenly (no clumps darlins') and dust with flour. It should look like velvet.
- Pour batter into pan (not a dark pan please) and cook in preheated oven at 350 for 45 to 55 minutes.
For added decadence:
Crunchy Crumble recipe... 1 1/2 c flour, 3/4 c LIGHT brown sugar packed, 3/4 c sugar, 1 1/2 sticks COLD butter cubed small, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 2 tsp vanilla, mix with hands or pastry cutter until it looks like crumble. Place over bread and then bake. Tip: dark brown sugar will burn.
Mama G's How-To:
1. Technique is the difference between good food and outstanding food.
2. I often prepare this in a bundt pan but pretty please use a light colored pan.
3. Prepare also in a spring form pan (light colored.)
4. Here is the scoop on preparing our pans for baking. Often, I use cooking spray with no clumping. Baked goods remove once they hit a certain temperature. But, banana bread is stubborn. I always spray and dust with flour. Of course, many bakers use butter which is beautiful also. For me, the spray dusted with flour allows me to achieve a perfect finish.
5. Before bread is placed into oven take a butter knife and gently run it across the top of the batter for a beautiful presentation.
6. You can also add 1 c of chocolate chips to bread.
7. Add a piece of spearmint gum to flour to prevent flour bugs. I know right!
8. Under bake bread just a little.
9. When bread is still warm, wrap it carefully in plastic wrap. Let it sit overnight. The next morning you will have amazing and gooey bread. Drizzle glaze over bread.
Mama G's words of baking and cooking wisdom. Technique is the difference between good food and outstanding food.
For the joy of food!
With Love, Mama G