Macaroni and cheese began in Northern Europe, as early as 1769. Thomas Jefferson brought this staple of American cuisine to the United States. He began with noodle recipes and a pasta machine. He served Macaroni and cheese at the 1802 state dinner. In 1937 Kraft Foods introduced it's boxed macaroni and cheese. Comfort food classic enjoyed by all. Please enjoy Mama G's Gruyere and Parmesan macaroni and cheese.
Macaroni and Cheese with Panko Crust
- Yield: 4 Servings
- ½ lb elbow macaroni
- 2 Tablespoons butter for macaroni
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 Tablespoon chives, minced
- 3 Tablespoon Mascarpone
- 2 Tablespoons butter for Panko
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Cook macaroni per package directions - aldente - drain - mix in the 2 T. butter - set aside.
- Put heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir and reduce to half
- Turn off heat and remove pan
- Whisk Gruyere and Parmesan into the cream until melted
- Fold in the pasta and chives
- Fold in Mascarpone
- Put macaroni in a medium cast-iron pan
- In a separate pan on low heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter
- Mix in bread crumbs until butter is absorbed. Do not burn
- Put bread crumbs on top of macaroni
- Put in oven for 10 - 12 minutes. Monitor closely
- Serve immediately at table in the cast-iron pan.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!