This is one of the most delightful and delicious Sicilian holiday treats called Cucidati.
Italian Fig Bars
- 2 eggs (dough)
- 1 cup sugar (dough)
- ½ lb shortening (dough)
- 6 cups flour (dough)
- ¼ cup baking powder (dough)
- ½ teaspoon salt (dough)
- 1 cup of milk (dough)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (dough)
- 1 (11 oz) package of dates (filling)
- ½ box raisins (filling)
- 1 string of dried figs or 2 packages (7 oz each) figs (filling)
- 1 small can of frozen orange juice concentrate, do not dilute (filling)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (filling)
- ½ tablespoon ground cloves (filling)
- ½ cup honey (filling)
- 1 cup strawberry preserves (filling)
- 1 shot whiskey (filling)
- 1 ½ cup chopped walnuts (filling)
- 2 cups powdered sugar (icing)
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream, slightly more if needed (icing)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (icing)
- Mix eggs, shortening and sugar in mixer. Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add alternately to the first mixture along with milk and vanilla.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours (It rolls out easier).
- Prepare Filling (below).
- Soak raisins and figs in warm water.
- Drain, and add raisins, figs and dates in food old fashion grinder or food processor.
- Add the remainder of ingredients and mix together.
- Roll out dough as thick as piecrust.
- Cut into 3-inch wide strips.
- Put filling in center and fold over dough.
- Cut into 1 ½ inch bars.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Mix together all of the icing ingredients and drizzle over fig cookie bars.
- Recipe makes about 80 bars.