How about a home-made, hand-crafted ice cream cone that tastes just like a Mexican churro, and it holds as much ice cream as the cone you are willing to create!
Ice Cream Churro Cones
- 1 (16.3) ounce package biscuit dough (Grand's or larger biscuits work best)
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup dipping chocolate or chocolate coating
- 1 pint ice cream
- Candy sprinkles
- 6 sheets (8x10inch) of heavy stock paper or manila folders
- Painter's or regular tape
- Aluminum foil
- Pastry brush
- Place oven rack in the bottom third of the oven, removing the rack above the one you will be using.
- Preheat oven the 375 degrees.
- Take the sheet of paper and roll into a tight cone, securing the end with a piece of tape.
- Trim the wide end of the cone straight across so it will stand upright on a baking sheet.
- Wrap cone tightly with foil (on the inside too), completely covering the paper.
- Lightly spray with cooking oil and set aside. Repeat with remaining sheets of paper.
- Dust work surface with flour.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the biscuit dough to a ¼-inch thick piece of dough large enough to wrap around the cone mold.
- Wet your fingertips with water and press and seal dough around mold.
- Place the cone, base side down on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until cone is golden brown.
- In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon and sugar.
- Remove the cones from the oven and brush the outside with melted butter.
- Sprinkle cones evenly with cinnamon sugar and return to the oven, baking for an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove the cones from the oven and let cool.
- While the cones are cooling, melt chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in 30-second intervals until spreadable.
- When the cone is cool enough to handle, remove it from the mold.
- Pour chocolate into the cone and coat all the way around, pouring out any excess.
- Let the chocolate harden.
- Fill the cone with a scoop of your favorite ice cream and sprinkles.
- Serving size: 6