Goulash is an irresistibly delicious tradition.
Mama G's Goulash
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cooking Time: 25 min
- 1 lb 80/20 hamburger
- 4 Tablespoons quality olive oil
- 4 T. butter
- 1 large sweet Hawaiian onion diced small
- 4 stalks room temperature celery diced small
- 4 cans Campbell’s Tomato Soup - no substitutions
- 1 c. sliced water chestnuts - drained and dried with papertowel
- Sea salt to taste
- Fresh cracked ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 c. grated extra sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 T. butter
- 4 C. crushed Lay’s potato chips
Cook macaroni to package directions and drain well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree
- Preheat large cast-iron pan on medium for 15 minutes
- Put oil in pan, heat for 1 minutes. Then put butter in pan. Use continuous movement to blend. If butter burns start over.
- Immediately put onions into pan & caramelize until golden using folding method
- Put celery in pan mid way through cooking hamburger. Don’t leave the stove. Constant attention is key. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. You don’t want celery to completely collapse. Leave delicious crunch
- Push vegetables to the side and add hamburger to sizzling hot pan
- Cook hamburger and stir ingredients together. Scrape the sides and bottom. The bits are flavor burst. This is key to your success.
- Fold in the macaroni
- Fold in 4 cans of Campbell tomato soup
- Fold in water chestnuts & level the mixture
- Sprinkle cheese on top
- Saute potato chips in 2 Tablespoons of butter until slight golden and sprinkle on top of Goulash. Caution, burns easily
- Cover cast iron pan. Put in oven for 20 minues with lid on. Uncover & cook for 5 minutes. Cook times may vary. Keep watch.
- Serve hot with buttered bread
Mama G's How-to
1. Temper hamburger on counter for 1/2 hour. Cold protein won't sear.
2. Make sure vegetable are not cold
3. Preheat over for 1/2 hour. If your temperature says 350 this doesn't mean the entire oven is at 350.
4. When you put hamburger in pan, let it sear before you move it around. You want chunky bits of caramel.
5. Olive oil has a low smoking point. Don't over heat your pan. If you do this can start a fire.
6. Fold ingredients. This keeps the Goulash firm and not mushy.
7. It is important to season well in the beginning. Use large granules of fresh cracked pepper. Taste as you go.
8. This dish is amazing the next day.
9. This dish is delicious without the potato chips too.
10. Invest in a cast-iron pot. This dish calls for it. Pure heaven.
11. Be sure to salt your pasta water with Kosher salt. This is important.