My love for Cast-Iron is endless. For me it is perfection. Cast-iron conducts heat evenly and maintains temperature. Cast-iron can go from stove top to table top. Food tastes better in cast-iron, especially with a well seasoned pan. The aroma is captured with each dish and fills the air the moment it hits the heat. Maintaining cast-iron is simple with a few techniques.
How To Season Cast - Iron
- Cast-iron Pan
- Vegetable oil as needed
- Paper towels
- Preheated oven
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour vegetable oil into pan and rub entire pan, including the lip, with a paper towel. It should look wet with no pooling of oil.
- Place pan into oven on middle rack for 1 hour. Be sure to place a drip pan on bottom rack just as a precaution.
- Turn oven off and allow to cool.
Here are my experienced recommendations for seasoning cast-iron pans. Also, my recommendations for the care and maintenance.
Seasoning a cast-iron is just a layer of oil bonded to iron to create a seal.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Pour vegetable oil into pan and rub entire pan, including the lip, with a paper towel. It should look wet with no pooling of oil.
3. Place pan into oven on middle rack for 1 hour. Be sure to place a drip pan on bottom rack just as a precaution.
4. Turn oven off and allow to cool.
Cleaning cast-iron pans.
1. It is OK if you use a small amount of dish soap to clean pan. You will The pan has a coating to protect pan. Soap will not penetrate the seal.
But, here is my experienced recommendation. If possible use a paper towel to wipe pan super clean between each use. Or, just hot water. Wash pans when needed.
2. Cleaning with just a paper towel puts a beautiful coating on the pan for the next use. This technique will make it easier to clean each time as well as make pan virtually non-stick.
3. Never allow pan to sit in water or moisture. It will rust within minutes.
4. Yes, my opinion is that it is OK to use cast-iron on a flat top stove. Use extreme caution and lift the pan, never drag. I also have a flat top and use cast-iron daily.
What's Cooking?... With Mama G
"Destination Dinner Table. Bringing friends and family together through the love of food."