Through the years, I’ve simmered and delivered probably hundreds of pots of this time-honored and healthful healer. Now, I’m passing my chicken soup recipe along to you.
Homemade Chicken Soup
- 1 whole chicken, washed and cut up
- 1 turkey leg, neck or thigh
- 3 large sweet onions, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 medium carrots
- 6 celery stalks
- 2 leeks
- 3-4 chicken bouillon cubes or soup base
- 6 quarts of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat oil and sauté two chopped onions and chicken parts until onion and chicken are browned, about 15-20 minutes. (Important: The longer the onion cooks in the chicken, the better the flavor.)
- Add water, remaining onion, turkey, carrots, celery, leeks, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil, then simmer for about 2-3 hours, occasionally skimming off foam.
- When cooked, strain the stock into a container and discard solids, or cut solids up into pieces and add back to soup.
- Cool stock and skim the fat.
- Add pasta if desired.
- Serve with fresh-grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.