A fresh fruit salsa with smokey grilled pineapples and bright herbs.
Grilled Pineapple SalsaPrep Time: 10 min Cooking Time: 10 min
- 1 large fresh pineapple (looking for a yield of 1.5 cups)
- ½ large red onion or 1 small red onion, diced (go for ½ cup's worth of onion)
- 1 Anaheim pepper, diced
- ½ cup loose packed cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- salt to taste
- Fire up the grill on high heat
- While the grill is heating, wash your pineapple and cut away the top and the skin. Slice into 1 inch planks/spears.
- Once the grill is heated, place the pineapple spears on the grill and cook 5 minutes each side until they get visible grill marks and just a little charred on the edges.
- Place the grilled pineapple on a plate and allow to cool. Any liquid that gathers under the pineapple, be sure to keep to add to the salsa.
- Dice the cooled pineapple and put it in a mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients, including any pooled pineapple juices and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately
The reason to serve immediately is that overnight, the pineapple acid will begin to break down the other ingredients and make them mushy. This salsa is best enjoyed fresh.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!