The toasted cheese sandwich is an American favorite. Gooey cheese melted and dripping between two layers of bread with a caramelized crust. It's the goodness.
- Yield: 1 Serving
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 15 min
- Medium size cast-iron skillet
- 2 slices of fresh sourdough bread
- 6 slices of white American cheese
- 2 Tablespoons of Heinz mayonnaise
- Heinz ketchup for dipping.
- Preheat cast-iron pan to medium high.
- Place cheese in between bread.
- Spread mayonnaise on the outside of each slice of bread.
- Do a temperature check on skillet. Place droplets of water in pan, if drops dance then pan is hot enough
- Place closed sandwich down into pan and allow to cook on one side until golden. Do not move sandwich.
- Turn sandwich over and cook until golden.
- The key to this sandwich is the perfect temperature of the pan and the mayonnaise.
- Serve immediately while hot with Heinz ketchup.
Mama G chef tips:
1. Too much mayonnaise will ruin the sandwich. More is not better on this.
2. Pre-heat skillet 10 minutes and be certain to do water test as noted in instructions. You want to hear the sizzle when you place the sandwich into pan.
3. Spread some of the edges of the bread with the mayonnaise too.
4. For luncheons: Serve sandwich to guests in single serve cast-iron pans with a side of ketchup. Several cast-iron pans are worth the investment. It is also an inexpensive pan.
5. Take cheese out of refrigerator while pan is preheating. Room temperature cheese will melt better.
Click link to see grilled cheese