This green goddess pesto spread is so easy to make and so versatile I have a hard time not eating it straight out of the jar! Most pesto recipes use oil, cheese, and nuts which add loads of calories and saturated fat, transforming even the healthiest of chicken dishes into an artery-clogging disaster. My secret ingredient: frozen peas! Not only are peas a nutritional powerhouse, but when thawed and blended with avocado they give this pesto the most amazing creaminess without the added fat of nuts and cheese. The recipe below makes 2 cups of pesto so use 2 tbsp for the toast and store the rest in a jar in the fridge. I love making a big batch and using it to top grilled chicken or mix in with canned tuna or some whole wheat pasta for a quick and healthy meal. This toast is one of my favorite breakfast recipes and also makes a great mid-morning or afternoon snack to keep your blood sugar stable and boost your metabolism throughout the day.
Green Goddess Toast with an Egg
- 2 cups chopped kale, ribs and stems removed
- 1 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- ¼ avocado, mashed
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 slice whole grain bread of choice, toasted
- 1 egg
- For the pesto: Put the first ingredients (kale - black pepper) in a food processor and pulse until combined. With the setting on low, stream in the water and olive oil until desired consistency is reached. Set aside.
- To fry the egg, spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over high heat. Break egg into skillet, reduce heat to low-medium. Cook until whites are set and yolk begins to set but not harden (about 4-5 minutes).
- To assemble, spread 2 tbsp of pesto onto toast and top with the egg. Store the rest of the pesto in a jar in the fridge.
- Sprinkle with freshly chopped basil or hot sauce if desired.