Packed with the traditional ingredients of a Green Goddess Salad Dressing, this is not your regular, every day grilled cheese sandwich, but I can guarantee that you will like it just fine, if not more. Enjoy!
Green Goddess Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Yield: 4 to 6
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 oil-packed anchovy, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 cup mixed spring greens
- ½ Avocado, diced
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 ounces goat cheese, cut into smaller cubes
- ½ ounces Fontina cheese, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8-12 slices sourdough bread
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Add garlic and anchovies to a food processor and pulse for a few seconds until it’s really finely chopped, almost like a paste (if you don’t have a food processor, you can always just chop the ingredients really well with a sharp knife on a cutting board). Add in the lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, tarragon, cilantro, basil, shallot, spring greens, avocado, mustard and goat and Fontina cheeses and pulse again until well blended. Transfer to a medium-sized bowl and stir in the mozzarella cheese.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter in a cast iron skillet over medium low heat. Lightly brown the bread and then flip each slice over. Spread about 3 to 4 tablespoons of the green goddess mixture onto each slice of bread and press together gently. Continue to fry the sandwich until the bread is golden brown. Press down on the sandwich lightly, then flip the sandwich over and cook until second side is golden brown.
- Remove for the skillet and serve immediately.