An old family favourite brunch recipe. This casserole is so yummy you will not be able to have just one helping. Made with egg bread (challah) lots of eggs and milk and an outta control maple brown sugar crunchy topping. I want a whole plateful right now. Yum.
French Toast Casserole with Nectartines and Blueberries
- Yield: 8
- I square challah (egg bread), sliced and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 7 eggs
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick of butter (½ cup) melted
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup fresh berries, I used blueberries
- 2 nectarines, sliced
- Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish and place bread cubes inside.
- Mix eggs, milk and vanilla.Pour evenly over bread cubes. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge overnight.
- Next day, melt the butter with the brown sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- After it melts, add in the maple syrup.pour over bread mixture, top with berries and sliced nectarines and bake at 350F for at least one hour. I kept checking it until it was nicely browned. Serve warm with additional fruit.