Chicken and waffles is a classic and this fun appetizer turns the classic into a finger food perfect for parties.
Chicken & Waffle Balls
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized peices
- 1 Cub Panko bread crumbs
- ½ Cup All Purpose Flour
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 large eggs, beaten (optional: add a couple dashes of hot sauce)
- Oil for frying (depending on fryer, use enough to be 3-4 inches deep in pot)
- 1 ¾ Cup AP flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ¾ Cup milk
- 2 eggs separated
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Pre-heat enough oil to fully cover chicken pieces. Recommended to use a cast iron or other heavy dutch oven, can also use a deep fryer
- Mix panko, ½ cup flour and spices in a bowl
- Dredge chicken pieces in the egg and then cover with the Panko mixture
- Fry in batches, 4-6 minutes each, making sure to toss to cover all sides. Coating should be a deep golden brown .
- Remove chicken from fryer and place on paper towel lined platter to drain of excess oil.
- While chicken is cooling, prepare the waffle batter.
- Mix 1 ¾ cup flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl
- Mix milk, egg yolks, and 2 Tbsp oil in another bowl and then whisk into the dry ingredients.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff and then fold into the rest of the batter.
- Bring frying oil back to heat if needed. Dip chicken pieces into the waffle batter and fry in batches until golden brown.
- Serve with hot sauce and/or pure maple syrup
We host a party every year called Chicken Fest and for the last 4 or so years of this party we've had some version of chicken and waffles. I've done chicken and waffle nachos, cupcakes, and more. The 2016 version was this recipe we came up with, a collaborative effort between my boyfriend and I. They were by far the biggest hit and they were flying off the table, I could hardly fry them fast enough to keep up!