This simple spring side dish gives that fresh asparagus a satisfying and savory crunch.
Cheddar Panko Asparagus
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 7 min
- 2 lbs of asparagus
- 1 ¼ C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 C panko
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced parsley or tarragon for garnish
- Add water to a vegetable steamer and begin to bring to a boil. Wash and snap the ends off of the asparagus. Once the water in the steamer is boiling, add the asparagus. Steam covered for 3-4 minutes, or until it's just fork tender and then rinse with cold water.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and evenly arrange the asparagus on the sheet. Season with pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Mix the olive oil with the panko, and then sprinkle it over the layer of cheddar cheese.
- Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven under a broiler for 2-3 minutes. The dish is done when the cheddar is melted and the panko is golden brown. Garnish with fresh minced parsley or tarragon before serving.