It's my go-to coffee cake for holiday guests!
Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Yield: 9 servings
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 45 min
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (a great place to sneak in a little whole wheat flour, I used ½ cup)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries (use more if large blueberries), fresh or frozen
- ⅔ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons butter, cubed
- ½ cup chopped walnuts optional: ¼ cup crumbled almond paste
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Butter a 9-inch square pan.
- For the cake:
- In a large bowl, beat softened butter and sugar until blended.
- Add milk and egg.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to butter mixture and mix just until combined. The batter will be very thick.
- Carefully fold in blueberries.
- Scoop the mixture into buttered pan and gently press it out evenly.
- For the crumble topping:
- Combine all topping ingredients in food processor or use a fork/fingers to combine until crumbles (large and small) form.
- Sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake at 375°F for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 20 to 30 minutes before serving.