This show stopper dessert has it all! Amazing taste, incredible looks and easy to prepare. This beauty will be the centerpiece of any buffet table. Get ready for the oohs and ahhs!
Black Forest Trifle
- Yield: serves 6-8
- Prep Time: 30 hr 1 min
- Cooking Time: 030 min
- 2 cans (16 oz.) dark pitted cherries
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup brandy
- ¼ cup Triple Sec or other orange flavored liqueur
- 1 pkg. dark chocolate cake mix, (apx.18oz.), prepared in 2, 8" rounds, cut in half to make 4 rounds 4
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ teas. vanilla
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup toasted sliced almonds
- In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch with ¼ cup juice from the cherries. Add remaining juice and cook over medium/low heat until thickened. Stir in brandy, Triple Sec and reserved cherries. Set aside to cool.
- Whip cream with vanilla and powdered sugar until stiff. Reserve 1 cup. Set aside.
- In In a clear glass, straight sided trifle bowl, layer 1 of the 4, chocolate cake rounds
- Drizzle over ¼ of the prepared cherries. Top w/ ¼ of the whipped cream
- Repeat with the remaining cake, cherries and whipped cream, forming 4 layers.
- Garnish with dollops of reserved whipped cream. Top w/ almonds.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.
Even easier: Purchase ready make chocolate cake. Cut the cake into pieces to fit any or shape size clear bowl in layers.
The trifle can be made up to 8 hours before serving. Keep refrigerated.
Whipped cream dollops can be piped using a pastry bag, if desired.
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!