Black-eyed Peas are a Southern tradition for New Year's Eve. This rich and hearty black-eyed pea soup with collards and andouille sausage can be on your table in less than 30 minutes with a pressure cooker.
Black-Eyed Pea Soup
- Servings: 1 cup
- Yield: 10
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 20 min
- 16 ounces black-eyed peas, dried
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 12 ounces chopped carrots
- 2 tsp Better Than Bouillon Chicken Flavor
- ¼ tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Lawry's seasoned salt
- 1 Tbs Sriracha
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs oil
- 8 cups water
- 12 ounces chopped Andouille sausage
- 3 cups chopped collard greens
- Put dried black-eyed peas in a container and cover in water, 1 inch higher than the beans and allow to soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the beans, rinse and place in the pot of an electric pressure cooker. Add in chopped onion, chopped carrots, bouillon, caraway, garlic powder, seasoned salt, Sriracha, paprika, balsamic vinegar, oil and water. Set pressure cooker at 6 minutes on high and allow to cook.
- Once the 6 minutes is up on the cooker, release the pressure and add in the sausage and collard greens. Cover the pot again and pressure cook for 2 minutes on high.
- Once cooking is completed, keep on warm until ready to serve. Add more salt to taste.
- Serve with chopped scallions.
Black-eyed Peas are a tradition for New Year's in the South. The little legumes are believed to be good luck. My Mom made a lot of bean soup when I was a kid, but I never remember hers being like this. I punched up the personality on this recipe with a combination of spicy smoked andouille sausage, bitter collard greens and a rich broth. The bonus on this for busy Moms is that a pressure cooker can bring it together in less than 30 minutes, but it tastes as good as any soup that simmered all day. To good health, good luck and easy recipes in 2016!
This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!