My aunt Maria's recipe for macaroni and ham salad is a holiday favorite in my family. It's a simple and savory recipe that goes great with a variety of dishes, especially with arroz con gandules and pernil.
Aunt Maria's Macaroni and Ham Salad
- Servings: 8
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cooking Time: 8 min
- ½ green bell pepper diced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- ¼ lb of ham steak diced
- 2 cups of elbow macaroni
- 8-10 spanish olives
- 1 tablespoon of spanish olives juice
- 1 tablespoon green onion diced
- 2 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of white vinegar
- sea salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Boil pasta with olive oil.
- Dice peppers and set aside.
- Dice ham and set aside.
- Drain pasta and cool with ice cubes.
- Stir in bell peppers, olives and ham.
- Add mayonnaise, vinegar and combine all ingredients.
- Add green onions on top and done!
The beauty of this recipe is that you can tailor every ingredient to fit your taste. My mother adds more peppers. I like a lot more ham. My son likes more mayo. The red and green peppers give it a great holiday feel. For spring and summer, use yellow and orange bell peppers instead!