I'm a really good baker....everything from scratch; but my teenager craves cakes from a mix -- so this old Southern family recipe helps doll up a cake mix into a thing of beauty!
Atlee's Favorite Strawberry CakePrep Time: 15 min Cooking Time: 1 hr 3 min
- 1 cup frozen strawberries in light syrup (thawed)
- 1 (16.25 oz) box white cake mix
- 1 (3 oz) box strawberry Jell-O
- 3 TB flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup water
- Buttercream frosting (see below)
- 1 stick butter (room temp)
- ¼ cup strawberry juice (from frozen package)
- 16 oz powdered sugar
- Fresh strawberries to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350; spray 3 round 8-inch cake pans with cooking spray
- Thaw frozen strawberries in microwave until thawed (not cooked)
- Drain frozen strawberries, keeping the juice for frosting
- In large bowl combine the cake mix, strawberry Jell-O and flour.
- Add eggs, oil, water and drained strawberries.
- Mix on low just until combined, then on medium for 2 minutes
- Divide batter among the 3 sprayed pans and bake for 30 minutes
- Remove from oven; cool for 10 min; take out of pans and cool another 20 min
- Mix the three ingredients for the frosting (butter, strawberry juice & powdered sugar) until combined and not lumpy (2 min on high mixer)
- Spread frosting on each layer, building up and covering all 3 layers. Garnish with fresh strawberries
This is a classic cake you would rush to the table for at those church suppers in the south. It tastes amazing, and no one will ever know it's just a mix with some lipstick on it! I've never known anyone who doesn't like this cake, but it's one of those long lost family recipes that needs to be saved and passed on to the next generation. Let them eat cake!