Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: From Failed to Fixed

It Never Fails...

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

There are about a dozen or so major holidays, all of which we celebrate, but my family really doesn't need something printed on a calendar. Heck, we make a big to-do over accomplishments, big, small and anything in between and we punctuate the moments with food.

Sunday suppers and holidays are sacred in the South and my family is no different. We all gather at my maternal grandparents' home, where the only requirement is crossing the threshold with a warm smile and grateful heart. But it never fails. One somebody always brought along something else and that something else is usually a turkey. Not just any turkey, but one that's overcooked. Grandmother would smile, nodding approvingly and disappear into the kitchen.

About ten minutes later, she'd return, carrying a beautifully carved bird that looked as if it just belonged. And I guess after she put her touch to it, it actually did. Well, since Grandmother is no longer with us, I inherited the responsibility of "fixing" the extra turkey.

It's simple. First, the turkey is sliced. Next, I grab simple ingredients already on hand to make a sauce. After all, the flavor needs to be resurrected.

Here it goes...

Set a pot over medium heat. Add 3 cups turkey or chicken stock, 2 ounces white wine, 2 shallots (chopped), 1 garlic clove (chopped), sage, parsley, thyme, tarragon, and of course, sprinkle in a dash of sea salt.

Increase heat to medium-high and allow flavored stock to come to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until stock has reduced by 1/4. Remove from heat and strain sauce. Pour sauce back into pot and return to heat. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons cold butter.

Just before presenting it, drizzle sauce over the sliced turkey and they're none the wiser as it never fails.

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!