Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Family Favorites

Easter Lamb Cake

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Every Easter my Aunt Mary Ann takes out her 50+ year old cake mold and bakes a lamb cake. She decorates it with coconut and jelly beans. It's a centerpiece and I often times feel bad slicing through it...that is until I taste how delicious it is!

Easter Lamb Cake

• Servings: 1 cake
  • Prep Time: 30 min
  • Cooking Time: 1 hr

Ingredients

• 1.5 cups flour
  • ½ pound butter, softened (2 sticks)
  • ½ lb powdered sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • Frosting: powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon buttermilk
  • Toppings: unsweetened shredded coconut, raisins and/or jelly beans for lamb's face ribbon to tie around lamb's neck

Preparation

1. Cream butter and powdered sugar together until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides.
  2. Add eggs one at a time. Beat for just a moment and mix until each yolk is just mixed - don't over do it.
  3. Gradually add the flour until just mixed.
  4. Mix in the vanilla.
  5. Grease lamb mold on both sides with Crisco.
  6. Spoon cake batter into the face side of the pan mold and then add the other pan mold on top. Place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for one hour. Let cake cool in the mold for 30 min. While cake is cooling, make the frosting. Mix a little powdered sugar and buttermilk together until right consistency for frosting is achieved. Once cool, frost with vanilla frosting. Cover with shredded coconut. Use raisins for the eyes and nose and red jellybeans for the mouth. Finish with a pink ribbon around the neck! Place on a platter decorated with pretty Easter decor. NOTES *Give your pan with batter a couple taps on the counter to release any air bubbles in the batter before baking. *This could also be made in a large bundt pan - double the recipe in this case. Since we don't want the exterior to brown too fast, lower the temp to 300 and bake for about 1.5 hours - keep an eye and nose on it! A couple tips I found online for perfect pound cake baking in bundt pans are: 1) start with a cold oven, preheating it with the cake in already, 2) swirl a spatula in a circle one time around the middle section of the batter. *This recipe is based on a heavy duty cake mold. Newer lightweight cake molds may require different baking times.
  7. Place on a cookie sheet.
  8. Bake at 350° for one hour. Let cake cool in the mold for 30 min.
  9. While cake is cooling, make the frosting. Mix a little powdered sugar and buttermilk together until right consistency for frosting is achieved.
  10. Once cool, frost with vanilla frosting. Cover with shredded coconut. Use raisins for the eyes and nose and red jellybeans for the mouth. Finish with a pink ribbon around the neck! Place on a platter decorated with pretty Easter decor.

Recipe Tags

1. NOTES
*Give your pan with batter a couple taps on the counter to release any air bubbles in the batter before baking.

*This could also be made in a large bundt pan - double the recipe in this case. Since we don't want the exterior to brown too fast, lower the temp to 300 and bake for about 1.5 hours - keep an eye and nose on it!

A couple tips I found online for perfect pound cake baking in bundt pans are: 1) start with a cold oven, preheating it with the cake in already, 2) swirl a spatula in a circle one time around the middle section of the batter.

*This recipe is based on a heavy duty cake mold. Newer lightweight cake molds may require different baking times.

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!