Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Family Favorites

Chocolate Cream Cake

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Chocolate Cream Cake - Moist chocolate cake topped with a light and fluffy almond flavored whipped cream “frosting”. Dessert was not dessert in my house growing up if it wasn't chocolate. Birthdays were always chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. One year my mom got brave and made chocolate cream cake. The "frosting" is a doctored up cool whip, and it is amazing. It instantly became my favorite, and to this day it is what I request on my birthday. Much to my dad's dismay, I even have my 10 year old asking for it now! So turn up your chocolate cake and make it a Chocolate Cream Cake!

Chocolate Cream Cake

• Yield: 10
  • Prep Time: 15 min
  • Cooking Time: 25 min

Ingredients

• 1 box chocolate cake mix (plus ingredients on the box)
  • 1 (16 oz) Container of Cool Whip, thawed
  • ¾ cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tsp almond extract

Preparation

1. Bake cake according to box instructions, baking in 2 layers. Cool completely
  2. Using a serrated knife, cut the top of the cake so it is flat and level. Save the extra cake, crumbling into a bowl.
  3. In a large bowl mix together thawed cool whip, powdered sugar, and almond extract.
  4. Set one layer of the cake on a large plate or serving platter. Spread with layer of cream. Top with the remaining layer of cake. Use the rest of the cream to "frost" the cake.
  5. Sprinkle the extra cake crumbs over the frosting
  6. Store in fridge

Recipe Tags

To read about this story and see other recipes please head over to Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!