As a chef the first they you learn is the best way to keep food costs down is to waste less. We all have a pantry full of various canned beans and tomatoes. Here's a super tasty one pan breakfast (or even supper) that puts all those lazy forgotten cans to work.
Serves 4/5 – takes 20 mins
- 1 red or white thinly chopped onion
- 3 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 can of rinsed chickpeas (150z)
- I can of peeled whole tomatoes (15oz)
- 1 cup pitted green or black olives
- 4/6 eggs
- 2 tbspns balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tspn chili flakes (to taste)
1. In an oven proof pan add a healthy splash of olive oil, add onions and garlic, sweat off until they begin to brown. Then add chickpeas, olives, balsamic, chilli (to taste) and tomatoes (crush tomatoes roughly as you add them to the pan). Season lightly. Olives will add saltiness as they cook down so be careful with salt at this stage.
2. Simmer on med heat for 8/10 mins. Stir occasionally and check for seasoning. Carefully crack eggs on mixture and simmer on low/med heat until egg whites begin to cook. Finish under broiler for 3/5 mins to complete cooking eggs. Garnish with parsley, a good splash of olive oil and your fav crusty bread.