My kids are definitely "snackers"! While we still enjoy a good peanut butter sandwich on occasion, we also enjoy serving and sending healthy snacks to school. And when you put some of these snacks together, you have a simple, healthy lunch for your kiddos.
I like to separate my snacks into important food groups -- protein/fiber, fruits/veggies and carbs. All kids need a combo of each of these during the day.
Some of the proteins include:
- Ham roll-ups
- Pepperoni slices
- Hard-boiled eggs
- String Cheese
- Ham & Cheese on a stick
Some Fruits and Veggies include:
- Peanut butter on apple slices
- Frozen fruit like grapes, blueberries, blackberries (keeping them frozen will keep them cool in their lunch box)
- Mini Carrots with ranch dressing
- Ants on a Log (celery with peanut butter or cream cheese and raisins)
Carbs are also important during the day! This gives them the fuel to keep going throughout the day.
- Peanut Butter and crackers
- Fruit bars
So when you put together a few of these "snacks" you come up with a great lunch for your kiddos. Include a bottle of water and a piece of dark chocolate and you have a great school lunch. Change it up everyday and keep it fun. Your kids will look forward to lunchtime!