Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Reinventing Breakfast

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

When I was in NYC for my 40th birthday, I had the most amazing pancakes at Sarabeth’s on the Upper West Side. I was in love once I took my first bite and have been thinking about those ever since. I decided to try my hand at making my own Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. I found a recipe at Williams and Sonoma but wanted to make it a bit healthier…here is my version.

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes

Prep Time: 30 min Cooking Time: 10 min

Ingredients

• 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 farm fresh eggs, separated
  • ¼ cup raw sugar
  • Zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 ½ cups Whole Wheat White flour
  • 1 Tbs. baking powder
  • ¼ tsp. sea salt
  • 2 Tbs. Flax Seed Meal

Preparation

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the ricotta, milk, egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest and juice until smooth. Mix together the flour, baking powder and ⅛ tsp. of the salt and pour over the ricotta mixture. Stir with a until just combined.
  2. In another large bowl, using a whisk, beat the egg whites until frothy. I suggest using a electric mixer, I think my arm is still hurting! Add the remaining ⅛ tsp. salt and continue beating until soft peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, fold one-third the egg whites into the ricotta mixture.
  3. Preheat a griddle over medium heat. Spray the griddle with nonstick cooking spray. With a ice cream scoop put 1 ½ scoops on the griddle. Cook until bubbles form on top and the pancakes are golden underneath, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook for 1 minute more. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter. Makes 12 to 14 pancakes.
  4. I topped our pancakes with this homemade Rhubarb Berry Sauce that I made, it was the perfect addition to the pancakes. If you don’t have time to make the sauce use pure maple syrup.

Recipe Tags

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!