Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Family Favorites

Apple Bread

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

For me this sweet moist bread represents why it is important to keep recipes and share them with family and friends. Growing up Mrs. K, the mom of my best friends, use to make this bread for us every fall. In junior high and high school it was a wonderful treat to come "home" and find this on the counter. When we were in college she made this when we came home for Thanksgiving break and always sent me back to school with a loaf. When I moved out of state I only got to enjoy this bread occasionally, but it was always a treat when I did get it. Every fall I thought about asking Mrs. K for the recipe, but always decided "I'll get it the next time I see her." This summer Mrs. K unexpectedly passed away. So this fall when faced with a bowl full of apples I knew it was time to finally get the recipe. Surprisingly neither of Mrs. K's daughters ever got the recipe, they to thought there would always be time to ask her for it. After going through 2 recipe boxes the recipe was finally found and shared, and for the first time another generation is making this much loved apple bread.

Apple Bread

Cooking Time: 1 hr

Ingredients

• ½ cup butter, softened
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • ⅔ cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • ½ cup milk
  • 1 apple, finely diced
  • ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
  • ½ cup dates, roughly chopped

Preparation

1. Preheat oven 350
  2. Grease and flour 9x5 loaf pan
  3. In large mixing bowl cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
  4. Add eggs and mix until combined.
  5. In small bowl combine flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
  6. Add flour to butter and mix until combined.
  7. Stir in milk.
  8. Gently fold in apple, walnuts and dates.
  9. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
  10. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until tester comes out clean.

Recipe Tags

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!